Skewers are long, thin sticks of bamboo, wood, plastic, or metal.
They come in handy when grilling meat, sausages, veggies, and other items.
You might have seen these skewers being used in ovens. Today, we share if they can be used in an air fryer.
Yes, you can put skewers in an air fryer, just like in a skillet, oven, or grill. However, there are a few things to consider, such as the material, length of the skewers, and the preparation of the ingredients.
Can You Put All Types Of Skewers In An Air Fryer?
Various types of skewers are available in the market, such as bamboo, wood, plastic, and metal.
Whether they all can be used in an air fryer is a question. Let’s see if they can be.
Wooden skewers can help you make chicken, kebabs, and other recipes in an air fryer.
However, before putting them in an air fryer, it is essential to soak them in water for about thirty minutes to prevent them from burning.
Additionally, thoroughly dry the wooden sticks before threading any ingredients to achieve better results.
| Also Read: Can You Put An Air Fryer On A Wooden Surface
In general, bamboo skewers can be used in an air fryer.
However, not all bamboo skewers are suitable for air fryer use, as some are treated with harmful coatings.
Therefore, ensuring you only use oven-safe bamboo skewers without any coating is essential.
Steel Or Metal Skewers
Steel or metal skewers can go in an air fryer as they are durable and easily withstand high temperatures.
However, as they can get very hot and potentially burn your fingers, caution is advised during their use.
You must use tongs to take them out of the air fryer basket.
| ALSO READ: Can You Put Metal in an Air Fryer
Plastic skewers should never be used in an air fryer.
The plastic can burn or, at the very least, melt and release harmful fumes, contaminating your food.
| Related: Can You Put Plastic Container In Air Fryer
Tips For Putting Skewers In An Air Fryer
Here are tips things you must consider when putting skewers in an air fryer:
- Consider The Material Of The Skewers: Select skewers made with material suitable for air frying. Metal and heat-resistant wood are the ideal options.
- Ensure Proper Preparation: Cut the ingredients properly. The size of the food items should be appropriate so that they can easily fit into the air fryer basket without grazing the sides.
- Allow Air Circulation: Place skewers in the air fryer basket in a single layer and leave space between them to allow proper air circulation.
- Preheat Your Air Fryer: Before placing the skewers, preheat the air fryer so that they start cooking immediately, shortening the total cooking time.
- Brush Oil: Apply oil to your food items to enhance the flavor of the ingredients and provide the necessary lubrication to prevent food from sticking.
- Flip Or Rotate: Don’t forget to flip or rotate the skewers halfway through cooking to allow even cooking from both sides.
How do you use skewers in an air fryer?
If using wooden skewers, immerse them in water for half an hour before use. Prepare the ingredients (meats, veggies, or a combination) and thread them to the skewers. Place the skewers in the air fryer, leaving space between them for proper air circulation and cooking.
Can I cook frozen chicken skewers in an air fryer?
Yes, you can cook frozen chicken skewers in an air fryer. Don’t forget to add a couple of extra minutes to the cooking time for best results.
Can I put toothpicks in an air fryer?
You can put toothpicks in an air fryer if their material is safe for an air fryer. Wooden toothpicks are considered safe for use in an air fryer. While those made with plastic or any coatings or additives are generally not considered safe for cooking appliances.
How do you reheat skewers in an air fryer?
For reheating skewers, preheat your air fryer. Next, arrange the skewers in the basket, spacing them out for even reheating. Now, set the temperature at a moderate level —typically around 375 F works well for reheating. Heat the skewers for about 3 to 5 minutes or until warm.
You may also like to check out:
Using skewers is a convenient and versatile way to make delicious recipes. The key to making chicken, shrimp skewers, or kebabs is using air fryer-safe skewers, such as those made with metal and wood, and following the recipe guidelines. So, as long as skewers are used correctly, they will not burn in the air fryer or ruin your food.