Realistically speaking, is it possible to cook food without oil? Yes, it is quite possible to skip using oil in an air fryer. Most people recommend using oil by greasing/ brushing/ coating the food.
Can You Use Butter Instead Of Oil In Air Fryer? 
Yes, you can use butter instead of oil in air fryer but we recommend using it in a melted form. Brush a little butter on the food you are cooking, adding a delicious flavor. While using butter in an air fryer, ensure the temperature does not exceed 350F.
The best way to use butter in an air fryer is in its melted form. Once melted, there are a few ways to use butter in the air fryer.
Tips For Using Butter In An Air Fryer
- You can lightly coat the food, such as steaks, with melted butter. A slight greasing lets the seasoning stick to the food surface. In most cases, a tablespoon or two is enough to grease the food to the recommended level.
- Alternatively, when cooking chicken, mix the herbs and spices in the butter and rub it on the meat and under the skin. This way, seasoning does not fall off the skin.
- You can also apply some butter to the air fryer basket before tossing the food in it.
Using butter in the air fryer is not recommended for cooking fatty foods such as beacon and burger patties because of grease and excessive smoke production.
But if you prefer butter’s taste over oil, put it in the end to crisp the food. Add a little water under the perforated basket if you add butter in the beginning. This will reduce smoke and catch the food drippings.
When the grease drips down, it does not land on bare metal. Cleaning the food grease can be pretty difficult; avoid it any way you can. Besides, water will prevent excessive smoke formation too.
Foods You Can Cook In Air Fryer Using Butter
Using too much oil in an air fryer kills the whole purpose of using an air fryer for cooking healthy food.
Unlike oil, butter is used in even less quantity, so butter ticks all the right boxes when it comes to health factors. Some foods you can safely prepare using butter in an air fryer include:
- Air fried butter cookies at 320F in 10-12 minutes
- Toast slices at 330 in 3 minutes
- Marinate frozen ready-to-cook steak, shrimp, and fish with butter and cook at 320 for 6 minutes.
- Toast slices bagels at 310F for 2 to 3 minutes
- Make butter cake at 350F in 15 minutes
- Bake Dutch cake at 325°F for 15-20 minutes
- Roast veggies (zucchini, mushrooms, squash, bell pepper, asparagus, etc.) at 350-360F in 12-15 minutes.
Using butter is only suitable when you are cooking at or below 350F, so making chicken wings in butter is quite possible, and it takes only 10 to 12 minutes for the whole process to complete.
Similarly, you can use butter to make air-fried popcorn because it gives them a superior taste compared to oil. Moreover, making popcorn in butter requires a 350F temperature, which falls within the allowed temperature limit.
Related: Where to put oil in an air fryer?
Is butter the best choice to use in an air fryer?
No, butter is not the best choice to use in the air fryer. Though, butter improves the taste of the food cooked in an air fryer and imparts a juicier flavor.
It also helps in the effective heat transfer when the fan blows air.
But the issue with butter is, that it burns quickly and releases smoke. So, when using butter in the air fryer, you must keep its smoke point in mind.
Because of the low smoke point, butter can quickly transition from the point of perfectly browning your food to charring it.
Therefore, cooking food in butter needs your utmost attention. Beyond this, you also need to use less butter than you would with oil, as it contains 80% of water to avoid excessive splatters.
How to remove butter grease from an air fryer?
When using butter in the air fryer, you will have leftover grease in the basket and the pan underneath.
If you don’t clean the air fryer grease after cooking food, it can cause smoke, burning, and alter the taste of the following food item you cook in the air fryer.
After cooking, let the air fryer rest and cool down. When you can easily touch the air fryer, use the kitchen towel to wipe off the grease.
Next, mix warm water with soap inside the air fryer and let it soak for some time. The soap cuts through the grease. After a few minutes, wash the air fryer under warm water.
Can I use melted butter in the air fryer?
Yes, you can use melted butter in an air fryer. To melt, cut the cold butter into cubes and heat it in the oven or air fryer-safe bowl. Use a brush to lightly coat the surface of the things you are cooking in an air fryer.
What can I use instead of oil in my air fryer?
You can use butter instead of oil in an air fryer. However, butter has a low smoke point of approximately 350°F, so ensure not to heat your air fryer beyond this temperature. Other options are duck fat, vegetable shortening, margarine, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar to make tasteful food.
We have discussed everything you need to know about, can you use butter instead of oil in air fryer? The best butter for the air fryer will give you an indulging flavor with a crispy and crunchy texture. Vermont Creamery makes one of the best all-purpose butter. You can use it for toasting slices or cooking in an air fryer. However, due to the lower smoke point of butter, the list of things you can cook with butter is much shorter. When using butter, ensure the air fryer temperature does not exceed the butter’s smoke point.
- Is Nuwave Brio Air Fryer 15.5QT A Good Value for Money? [Review] - December 4, 2023
- Does COSORI Toaster Oven Air Fryer Live Up To The Hype? [Review] - December 4, 2023
- Does Ninja AG301 Foodi Air Fryer Grill Offer Good Value? [Review] - December 4, 2023